Saturday, July 18, 2009

Swine flu paranoia

There seems to be some concern here about swine flu. When I first said I was planning to go to Japan for my 10 day holiday in August I was told I would have to return 7 days early to allow for time for quarantine. That didn't go down so well - and I decided to ignore it and see how it panned out. There is another English teacher at school who has been there 3 years and he had planned his holiday in Greece - and he goes and returns before me so I figured I would see how they responded to him. Interestingly he didn't seem to get the same hassles...
Then I was told the holiday was approved, then I was told the Board of Education didn't want teachers or students to go overseas.....after the first time I stopped panic-ing (how do you spell that word?) and just thought I might lie about it all.
Finally last week I managed to get a better understanding - it turned out there had been a World Choir champs held here the previous week and a bunch of Indonesians had come in with H1N1 and were in quarantine and the choir champs cancelled and everyone else sent home.

By Thursday they were back to saying I should return a week early - all with no offer of compensation for airfares already paid for or alternate holiday times. And by Friday I was told I could have my whole 10 days in Japan and then the subsequent week I would stay away from school for quarantine...fine by me.

So it will be interesting to see what the next 3 weeks brings and how many more times they change the story...but I'd decided I'd probably go anyway and if necessary just wear a mask when I returned.
The Koreans have this thing about most foods they eat being beneficial to health - so I said that with all the kimchi I was eating (it boosts the immune system) I would be safe from Swine Flu anyway.

3 comments:

  1. What a rigmarole for a bit of time off....! But I can understand the panic; in the UK it is getting rather serious and, worse still, in Italy nobody talks about it, that meaning that there a lot more than meets the eye!!
    Still with all the kimchi you are having it should be ok and if you wore a mask while away and while flying it should be ok!!
    Enjoy it, Japan is another rather interesting country, Ciao ciao Paolo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be missing the point with this flu business. It's just flu isn't it? People get it and are mostly mildly crook. Then they get better and life goes on. And some people suffer badly, presumably with pre-existing conditions that don't dispose them well to getting flu. Don't hundreds die in NZ every year from flu? Are we not working ourselves into a sweat over this particular one? Or am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knows? I'm sure more people probably die by slipping over in the shower...

    ReplyDelete