Sunday, July 5, 2009

An awfully big adventure

Saturday dawned and I didn't think it would rain too much - so I headed off for the Big Walk.
First the local bus, then a walk about a kilometre to the Bus Station and an hour on the intercity bus to Busan. Then it was get the subway/train and then locate another bus to Beomeosa Temple. The first pic is from a display - to give you an idea of the size of the complex/number of buildings etc.
Sorry if some of the photos are a bit washed out - I only discovered after I got home that I had the camera on the wrong setting (duh!)







Then I headed up the hill - saw this cat and after I had taken its photo and talked to it - it decided I must be good for food or something and followed me meowing...
I liked this hiker - carrying his shopping bag too
There were lots of people out walking - which is very handy for checking that one is on the right track. After a big uphill trek - finally reached the South Gate of this fortress.
There isn't an actual fortress per se - just a long wall - a little like a mini version of the Great Wall of China.

So then it was a big walk along to the East Gate and the North Gate - about 2 hours. Somewhere along the way, after the track dropped down into the trees I realised it was getting quite misty, then moist, then wet, then raining...and my Goretex jacket back in NZ.
The easiest solution was to use my umbrella - which was good but felt weird as it's not a NZ sort of thing. Eventually it eased and, instead of just heading back via the cable car, I decided to continue to what was probably going to be the best bit of the trip. By now the sun was out and when I heard the cracks of thunder I thought/hoped it was from the last rain and passing by...
That was pretty stupid but I managed to arrive at this place (Seokbulsa Temple) just as the next downpour was starting. This was a pretty small place compared to the earlier temple - but it was stunning. Lonely Planet describes it as a "hermitage carved into rock. Two massive boulders stretching 40m in height jut out from the mountainside to form a U-shaped enclave with three rock facings that is now a place of worship. Inside the enclave, enormous Buddhist images have been meticulously etched into stone"


I took these pics then it seriously bucketed down - so I put my camera away and sheltered for about 45mins...and finally, as it eased off, I headed back to find the cable car

I was told by an American I met near the South Gate that it is often a lot clearer than this - but yesterday was not one for great view shots.
From the bottom of the cable car I walked back to find the Changwon bus...then another walk to my local bus and home. I wore my pedometer - approx 25km for the day.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like an amazing place. Stunning colours and decorations in the temple and what huge wonderful rock sculptures. Question is, have you now seen the one and only big tourist site near you, or is there more? maybe hidden treasures. I would hate the smog and humidity. Mind you, our wet cold winter weather is not really a better option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure there are plenty more - and even if further afield it's not so long to get most places.

    ReplyDelete