If you think it could get any better than yesterday - well you are going to be disappointed.
It was still a public holiday and we started with a trip on the Metro/Subway.
A quote from The Pyongyang Metro - At the opening ceremony in 1973 Kim Il Song (Granddad) said "I think it is difficult to build the metro, but it is not to cut the tape." Hearing his words who considered the trouble of the builders first, the participants in the opening ceremony felt a lump in their throats and gave enthusiastic cheers...
The subways are very deep underground and double as a nuclear bunker
We travelled from Prosperity Station, through Glory and got out at Triumph Station
They even provide a daily newspaper to read while you wait.
Next we stopped to pay our respects at the Mansudae Grand Monument. It used to be just the statue on the left (of Kim Il Song) but with Kim Jong Il's demise last year it was decided to add him - and it was unveiled just in time for the celebration. Not only had they made a new Kim Jong Il but they had also given Kim Il Song a new head to reflect his maturity in comparison - as you do.
I think the plane above and below was one they had shot down - probably belonging to an imperialist aggressor nation from somewhere between Canada and Mexico.
Now it was time to really mingle - off to the park where the locals were enjoying themselves with picnics and dancing and not a little soju (alcohol)
Our guide had taught us the phrase "Happy Holiday" which proved a good icebreaker.
Finally - Flower Show time. There were huge queues of people but our guides just took us to the front - not very equal is it?
There are really only two flowers of any note - the Kimilsongia and the Kimjongilia. The first is a purple orchid and the latter is a bright red begonia - as seen behind the children above. They were selling bulbs and corms - I didn't think I would be able to keep the orchid damp/alive but had hopes that the begonia corm might survive the couple of weeks before I got back to NZ. Sadly the NZ Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries wasn't so impressed. Without a lot of paperwork the corm could not come in - so it went into the bin.
Above is a map of ALL Korea (North and South) and that is how they always depict it. I think it kind of looks like a gun!
It was still a public holiday and we started with a trip on the Metro/Subway.
A quote from The Pyongyang Metro - At the opening ceremony in 1973 Kim Il Song (Granddad) said "I think it is difficult to build the metro, but it is not to cut the tape." Hearing his words who considered the trouble of the builders first, the participants in the opening ceremony felt a lump in their throats and gave enthusiastic cheers...
The subways are very deep underground and double as a nuclear bunker
We travelled from Prosperity Station, through Glory and got out at Triumph Station
They even provide a daily newspaper to read while you wait.
Next on our busy schedule was a trip to the Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum and Monuments
I think the plane above and below was one they had shot down - probably belonging to an imperialist aggressor nation from somewhere between Canada and Mexico.
Our guide had taught us the phrase "Happy Holiday" which proved a good icebreaker.
Finally - Flower Show time. There were huge queues of people but our guides just took us to the front - not very equal is it?
There are really only two flowers of any note - the Kimilsongia and the Kimjongilia. The first is a purple orchid and the latter is a bright red begonia - as seen behind the children above. They were selling bulbs and corms - I didn't think I would be able to keep the orchid damp/alive but had hopes that the begonia corm might survive the couple of weeks before I got back to NZ. Sadly the NZ Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries wasn't so impressed. Without a lot of paperwork the corm could not come in - so it went into the bin.
Above is a map of ALL Korea (North and South) and that is how they always depict it. I think it kind of looks like a gun!









No comments:
Post a Comment