Thursday, May 24, 2012

 My wake-up vista

 A few shots from the bus window - hence the poor quality - showing some of their farming equipment
 ...and even a tractor


 I kept trying to get a good photo of these trucks - they are powered by a fire burning in a drum on the back - completely bizarre - and smoky



 We visited a Co-operative Farm. This machine planted the rice I think...

 Of course the Dear Leader had been there and given some on-the-spot guidance
The gumboots were sold in the Co-op shop
 We also got to see a 'typical' house. I think it may have belonged to the boss. I'm sure his wife wasn't too enthusiastic to have a bunch of tourists traipse through her house
 I missed the shot of the big TV screen...
 The kitchen is set at a lower level to the other rooms - I think this enables the fuel used for cooking to also heat the water for the underfloor heating.

 Then we went to the local school and were treated to a wee performance.
North Korean kids are a lot like South korean kids in that they are very cute


 The rice is sown and then protected from the cold by plastic covers before being planted out properly


 We drove on to Hamhung - further north. The quality of the trolley buses seemed to be even worse outside Pyongyang. I think about half of all the ones we saw were not going. I would not want to be relying on them for my commute to work every day.
The above roadside stall is the beginnings of their new commercialism and enterprise.
 Last visit for the day is the nearby Fertiliser Factory
 The poster proudly mentions CNC - which stands for Computer Numerical Control and means they computer-control their machine tools


 The framed plaques above detail visits by the Great and Dear Leaders

 Equal opportunity employment here
And the lovely proud engineer who showed us around
 On the way back to our hotel we passed these children - obviously rehearsing for some mass performance











No comments:

Post a Comment