Well, finally I am here in Korea.
Packing and tidying my house was a neverending process - almost enough to make me stay home. But it was a bit late by then.
My last night in NZ I managed to get 2 hours of kip...
And then comes the good bit - on the plane and finally relaxing.
Saw 'In Bruges' which I'd never gotten around to.
And my strategy of sitting in the middle row of seats at the back paid dividends - got all 3 seats to stretch out on for about 5 hours' sleep. Makes all the difference just getting my feet up.
I decided to get rash and try the congee for breakfast - it came with some chicken mince and egg strips. It's been described as gelatinous - but it was quite edible - an Asian version of porridge.
In Shanghai we had to wait on the plane for their health workers to come on board, dressed in white overalls and masked - looking like we'd all contracted the plague. They zapped our foreheads with some red spots light - that determines body temp. Fortunately we must have been ok as they let us off.
And coming in to Korea we had to have our temps taken before going thru' customs - this time they pressed their probe-thing on a spot behind the ear. So far I seem to be quite healthy.
I was picked up and taken straight to my school - about 40mins drive to Changwon.
Warm 24deg C and quite humid. Lots and lots of tall apartment blocks - and then vast areas of just bush on the hillsides - it keeps it a bit more scenic.
I met the Principal and my Co-teacher and a few others - there is also an American there teaching English so it will be good to have a more experienced person - he's been here 3 years.
My apartment isn't ready till Sunday so my Co-teacher drove me to Masan - about 30mins away - but the built-up area just continues seamlessly so I didn't realise we had gone from Changwon to Masan.
And I'm in a lovely hotel down on the waterfront - lovely vistsa across the harbour - almost reminds me of home.
Right now I'm ready for a long sleep

Great to hear/see you arrived safely and healthily. A good start with the homely view and experienced fellow teachers. So far so good. I love that hotel room, interesting blocky decor, with 'paintings' on the wall to match. Lucky you having 24deg C. We're having another cold spell, with storm, rain, hail and temp around 0. However, fitting weather to go and see Ponting's film footage tonight.
ReplyDelete