Well it is Day 10 today.
I survived my first week of 'teaching' - I'm not sure it was really teaching - it certainly bore little relation to what I learnt on the Celta course. Me and co-teacher do a kind of double act - sometimes I feel like the gameshow bimbo. Co-teacher is there to explain tricky things to the students in Korean - consequently a lot of Korean is spoken and not so much English. But I figure 'slowly, slowly...'
It was a pretty cruisy week - we only had 3 classes every afternoon so had the morning to prepare. I had thought I'd be working late nights preparing lessons so this is great.
I think they will add more classes soon and also we have to do something on every other Saturday...
But I got to Friday and celebrated with a beer. I had felt like celebrating every night with a beer but decided that may not be such a good habit to get into.
After school on Friday the other English teacher - Jeremy - showed me how to take the bus downtown to the two main shopping areas - including the 2 bookshops with English books. Both the bookshops didn't have big English sections but they did have a good assortment of reading - so it is nice to know. Although Jeremy claims to have a good collection of his own that I can raid - as an English major he reckons it is pretty good.
Weekend - went to town each day to familiarise myself with what is around. And today I visited the main art gallery - they had a series of small exhibitions - photography, watercolour, Chinese calligraphy and some young contemporary art that had some interesting/different/appealing work.
The nicest thing I did tho' was to head off for a walk early-ish this morning. There is a path heading up into the trees/bush from school and I'd been told it was about 30 mins to the top. It was a lovely morning - the usual balmy but not too hot and then shaded in the trees. Lovely and quiet, cuckoo singing.
I passed a couple of outdoor gyms and also at regular staging posts there are various things to exercise on. And lots of people out walking, though most would be over 40. The older women are amazing - immaculately turned out in their walking outfits, charging around. They must be pretty fit - explains why you don't see any overweight older people though it is a different story with some of the kids. And then at one stage the trees parted to reveal a golf course - I will take my camera next time.
Hopefully this week I'll get my Alien Resident card and can then try to get connected at home -then I can post photos.
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Good to hear you're settling in well and enjoying things so far. Are you going to try and learn Korean?
ReplyDelete