We went at 10am and it was probably less crowded and there were no children there. We had gone to one in town - others teachers have said it is preferable to going locally and risk meeting half one's students there.
$6 and we had a locker key, 2 hand towels (the only size they use here) and a baggy Tshirt and shorts in matching mustard colour.
The bathing part is segregated - so it's strip off, completely, then into the open area for shower and a lounge around in one of the 3 pools (hot, warm and cold), a sit in the sauna and, if desired, a scrub massage from an assistant or there is a separate area for thorough washing/scrubbing oneself.
I found it strange at first to be wandering around naked amidst lots of other naked women - but after a while it just seems normal. There are people of all ages and sizes so nothing to be too self-conscious about. As foreigners we probably get an extra glance - but I'd be doing the same.
After that we showered off then dressed in the mustard uniform and moved to the unisex area. Here there are small ceramic igloos of varying heats - more lying about. There are also areas here where people can just stretch out and sleep (a very cheap motel and they get used as such!). We then went to the lounging area - drinks, snacks, massage chairs, heated floors to lie on while watching the big screen TV, a gym and some odd boxed-in seat - sit in it, the box comes to about waist level and is warm inside. Put your book/magazine on top and relax away. I'm not sure what the heating of the lower portions is supposed to achieve - I'm hoping it will melt away the hips and plan to go back with a good book.
I came out feeling very clean and decided to make it for longer next time.

no photos?
ReplyDeletelink to some pictires of a jjimjibang
ReplyDeletehttp://english.tour2korea.com/ena/SI/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?gotoPage=2&cid=626601
I tried that website and couldn't access it ... Julia
ReplyDeleteI just tried it and it works fine, so don't now what that's about? Just paste the address from http onwards into the address bar and go
ReplyDeleteYes - it seems fine now - and good info - thanks
ReplyDelete