Sunday, October 25, 2009

Waiting For Godot

It started with an innocent comment from Lindsay(fair hair) about aspects of living in Korea being akin to Waiting For Godot. I knew the basic premise of the play but not much more, so googled it and found Wikipedia's comprehensive rundown. It sounded fascinating - I particularly like the 'absurdist' label.
Next time we met we started to talk about it. And Denise(dark hair) was also there and interested so we decided to get copies, read it and then meet to discuss.

There you see us - after our inaugural meeting at the Indian restaurant. I had managed to view it on You Tube while waiting for my copy to arrive but now need to sit down and read it properly. There are some great lines in it that will make for good catchphrases...
"What do we do now?"...
"What about hanging ourselves?"
"Hmm. It'd give us an erection."

Apparently Beckett was very anti the play ever being produced using female actors... and there is no reference to any females in the play at all.

Lindsay only has a month left of her contract but we should manage a few good sessions in the interim.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. An impromptu book club!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a moment I thought you might just wanted to stage it... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now there's an interesting idea - but not for me...

    ReplyDelete