Sunday, October 4, 2009

Night ramble

We are in the midst of a 4 day weekend for Chuseok (Harvest Festival). Most Koreans head to their parents' or grandparents' places - so the roads are packed. Hence a lot of foreigners chose to stay at home. One of the teachers suggested a moonlight walk in Masan - which is the adjacent city - $1.25 on the bus! We headed up a hill and past all these stupa/pagoda 'things'. They are recent constructions, supposedly 870 of them, by a guy who is doing it as his gesture towards reunification. I'll have to go back in the day sometime for a better look.




Partway up there is a lookout over Masan (stadium in the middle of the shot)
That was as far as we ventured. Next time I'll go up to the Buddhist monastery and then there is supposed to be a track that leads back to Changwon.

2 comments:

  1. Those stupa look amazing. They are huge! What are they made of and how did the artist make them? Can't see how this might be related to unification though. Do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was dark - in fact the best view I had of them was from these photos with flash...
    I need to go back in daytime.

    ReplyDelete