Going to a museum or a gallery is a bit like a lucky dip. This one, the Hara Museum, was away from the hub of Tokyo and a long walk form the station with few signposts. But it was in a lovely neighbourhood, down this quiet leafy street, Burmese Embassy at the end and reeked of money. I saw a Testarossa parked in someone's garage.

The building was built in the 30's by Watanabe and it had a glorious collection. Couldn't take photos inside but there were pieces by Yves Klein, Christian Boltanski, Gilbert & George, Ai WeiWei as well as some other newer works and a stunning video/computer generated imagery by Cao Fei of an idealised city - actually I should google it to see if there is more to be seen. It was called 'RMB City: A Second Life City Planning' I think - or something similar.

Outside there was this by Sol Lewitt


and this by Kimiyo Mishima

and this by Minami Tada




and I forgot who did this one....
No comments:
Post a Comment