Sunday, September 5, 2010

Meanwhile - back in Korea

Last weekend some friends invited me to join them on a trip to Geoje Island. There is an abandonned amusement park there and I'd wanted to photograph it for some time.
I could have taken the bus the long way around - it takes about 3 hours - but instead we went by ferry from Jinhae which is 'next door' to Changwon and is where I went diving last year.
The ferry takes about an hour.


We then caught a taxi to one of the main towns, Okpo.
Sunbathed on the nearby beach - I forgot to take pictures but there was lots of rubbish on the beach and when we went in the water there was even more - it was horrible; I've never seen so much rubbish in the water.
Okpo has a lot of foreign engineers and consequently has a lot of bars and foreign-food restaurants. I met a couple who had just been there in Okpo for a bout a week (teaching) and we had a great Turkish meal.
Next morning it was time to go to what was Okpoland. 2 children were killed in the space of a year and it was then closed down.


The carousel/merry-go-round











A pirate boat swing thing




Remains of rollercoasters, other rides, signs...even some graffiti (relatively rare in Korea)









It is situated on a prime piece of real estate with views to Okpo and back the other side to the shipping yards

The ducks were apparently responsible for the deaths of the children





Then we headed to an Irish Bar that advertised a UK Breakfast - only to be told that most of the items on the menu couldn't be ordered because there was a new chef !!!! Damn - I'd been really looking forward to an English Breakfast.

And back home on the ferry
Jellyfish
Travelling companions - 3 English and 1 American
And one of the brands of water



4 comments:

  1. Oh I bet you wanted to stay there longer taking photos, such a brilliant juxtaposition of happy happy and tragic. I want to make prints off those old rusted signs! My Scottish friend Joanne arrives in Korea soon for the paper conference...you may want to look at her blog from time to time and see her updates. http://joannebkaarbakersbotanistswhalers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics Julia. I especially like the one that looks through the horses legs at the dodgem car

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to go back again sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Bizarre... How long ago did the park close down? Somehow it reminded me of Planet of the Apes. What might a future intelligence make of finding big ducks in the jungle?

    ReplyDelete