So I had the weekend to explore. Downtown was interesting - pedestrians ruled. It took me a while to get used to cars waiting while I crossed the road. The footpaths were wide and there didn't appear to be too much traffic for a downtown area.
I think Portland is particularly famous for its foodcarts. As it was the weekend not many were open but it sure is an economical way to eat and there is a good selection of cuisines.
In the Seattle hostel Someone showed me the magic button on Google that gives directions. I think I may have worn that button out now - but it is awesome. I worked out how to get places using the buses, light rail and the streetcars (the red thing below).
And sometimes I walked. The scene below was a Sunday morning of what was going to be avery hot day. Still in the central city area but on the outskirts and obviously it is also residential. The pool was created by sloping paving - nothing fancy but great for kids.
But the 'piece de resistance' was my hotel - aptly named the Ace Hotel. It has a kind of industrial chic and is very COOL. The area above was the mezzanine and they are so cool they had the lyrics to Leonard Cohen's Suzanne on the wall. The couches were covered in heavy canvas.
I was in the budget room and had a shared bathroom. They had crates for towel storage and the loveliest of toiletries in the shower - Malin and Goetz since you will be wondering what to get me for Christmas.
My room was a triple - it was all they had left when I made the booking. At least I got to choose which bed. The top sheet was just folded up under the blanket and I had to make my own bed - shock horror! Having your own basin is handy and for the first time in my life (true) I ate and drank something from the mini bar because it was so good.
Ah - it was a fine weekend in Portland

You should download a t.v program called Portlandia. I don't know if i can ever visit Portland because of it... or perhaps i definately will visit because of it. Regardless the program is kinda funny but also kinda painful.
ReplyDeleteThe hotel looked great! xoxo