Friday, April 29, 2011

The Wall

Well this was out starting point. They were still adding to the top one third to make it all flush.
What we didn't know was that by the time we'd finished the wall would double in size - with height and length being added!
We worked out a rough design amongst the three of us (Dominique hadn't showed up yet) that was based on an underground scene, a diagonal 'horizon' line that lead to it then becoming an above-ground scene - with a 'tree of life' in the centre - its roots winding around the underground part.
The diagonal 'horizon' line would be marked by a wide border of oval and diamond shapes.
We liked a mix of nature, odd creatures and patterns. Somehow it seems we can work al our ideas in.
Cory starts in the corner with a pattern.Nicole begins with a creature.
And I start on the border shapes. I am slow....and after 2 hours Jogo, the main man, tells me, in Hindi, the tiles aren't flush/level with each other and they also are not adhering well - and off they all come. I get the picture. Below was probably 2 days work.


Y0u can now see how the wall is getting higher.

Things progress slowly

Dominique arrives and starts on a butterfly. Here is Jogo helping her with similar issues - like being level and adhering






Our role is to make the shapes and then local workers come along and fill in all the spaces.
The underground is supposed to be in dark colours and they start on it but then run into problems of there not being enough dark tiles. The extra helpers disappear...
After working on some of the border, and being up on the 'scaffolding' (the oil drums and planks) I move down to ground and start on a paisley pattern. It is a little incongruous but we all like the pattern.
I really enjoy mixing the tile colours and patterns - and we have some lovely blue patterned tiles so I start with themThen add some bright green

before finishing off with some browns. This was probably my favourite creation and it even got the nod of approval from the local workers - who were probably pained by watching my slow pace.Roots get created and we gradually move along the wall.

1 comment: