Monday, April 11, 2011

Last days at 'the wall'

Firstly - for the cricket semi final I wore jeans with the kurta top to the Press Club. A bit like having a foot in both camps. It probably didn't matter much anyway as we were seated outside in the dark. There was a big screen up and lots of tables set up and we sat down to drinks and to watch the last half. Then the screen went blank, was restored briefly then went on the blink for good. There was a functioning TV inside at the bar so occasionally I would go and check the score. India won and afterwards there was much celebrating on the streets.
We ended up staying 'home' on the night of the final but could tell who won by listening to the cheers and hearing the fireworks.
Time seems to have flown by - our wall has doubled in size as they have added to the height and then last week they increased the length substantially by knocking down a shack. Needless to say nothing will be finished by the time I leave on Saturday morning but progress has been made.
I enjoy the work, it is fairly absorbing and so the 6 day working week doesn't feel like a hardship. plus we think we are lucky as the Indian workers tend to work 7 days a week !!! I tell you - it's a trade union paradise here - but also there is probably too much supply in the labour force.
I'm also going to miss having lunch and dinner cooked for me every day - and someone does the dishes.
OK - time to cycle back for dinner. Soon I will be able to post some photos...stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment