Thursday, May 12, 2011

Last days in Delhi

Back in Delhi I made it to the Red Fort - a little damp and misty - but that just adds to the atmosphere - and by the time I got there it wasn't actually raining
As part of the main entrance there is an arcade of shops

It's a big complex and inside the walls are a variety of other buildings - meeting/reception area, sleeping quarters, place of prayer etc. Some in the red stone and then, for a change, marble

I also got to Humayun's Tomb - I had planned to go at sunset when it was supposed to be particularly photogenic - but ended up there at midday by mistake. I thought the auto-rickshaw was taking me to the Craft Museum - but he didn't know where it was and by the time I realised that I'd already paid him and he'd gone.
It is a kind of mini Taj Mahal - in red stone - and a lot less crowded.
I found a local market near my guest house - and here they were doing henna decoration. It is commonly done for brides and when I asked the woman about it it turned out she was getting married in a few days time. It is beautiful work and lasts several weeks apparently





There were a couple of building and renovating projects near my guesthouse - I just love the scaffolding.




3 comments:

  1. The henna is beautiful! i want a henna foot

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - I was almost tempted

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH go back and get the henna - it is so gorgeous. I have been wanting it ever since I saw it on the telly - I think it was part of Peta Mathius's Intrepid Journey. Its ok, you don't have to go through with the marriage but as part of the deal.

    ReplyDelete