Thursday, February 10, 2011

Wednesday walk

Every Wednesday my sister goes walking with a group - so this Wednesday I joined them.
I was a little trepidacious (is that a word?) as this group is very fit despite an average age of around 65. We started at the bottom of the hill and steadily climbed...and climbed.
Then we went across to a stand of old totara trees. In the barren landscape they are a rarity and I'm not sure how they survived the burn-offs that occurred all over the area by Maori looking for moa birds back in the dim distant past. I'd love to say how old they are but I have no idea. They are very slow growing so the best I can do is to say they are old.

Lunch stop

And back near the bottom were these hawthorn trees - laden with berries


Other wildlife - beehives

and sheep
And heading back to the car. Still up with the bunch - those early morning walks I've been doing with my sister must have helped.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Ju. That Wednesday "walk" group is awesome. We trained for weeks for our outing with them.

    ReplyDelete