Thursday, August 12, 2010

cheap day out

Over the river is Brooklyn. And on the outskirts is a decommissioned airfield - that was once an island until connected up by landfill. The landfill was mostly made up of rubbish - and dead horses - up to 15,000 a year. This occurred from the 1850's through to the early 1900's.


So, on Monday, I took the subway and then a bus, to Dead Horse Bay. Planes flying in to JFK.
Hot, hot day - perfect place to be. Me and one other scavenging at low tide.
Each tide reveals more junk - mostly bottles, ceramics, bits of rusty metal, old shoes ....


...on and on and on.


There was also the remains of some more recent sealife
I don't know what this 'thing ' is but it looked lethal




So many bottles - so little space in my suitcase.


The other guy scavenging was a sculptor who used his treasures in works.


Back home I gave them a wee clean
But there are still some barnacles to be removed from that cup. On the right is an old milk bottle
And below is (left to right) a glass button, a bead and a marble
I couldn't help myself with some of the fragments - mosaic one day.
What treasures!

6 comments:

  1. Great! I like the beads :)

    How did you find out about all this interesting non new yorky stuff to do in New York?

    Have you heard about the high line? I have a cute childrens book based on it. If you haven't heard about it you should google it and investigate.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about it on someone's blog - but can't remember whose.
    Then checked out subway and buses and tides and general directions - all on the internet before I got here. Oh the internet is wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treasure trove! Certainly not the usual sightseeing destination but certainly worth the trip - shame not having a bigger suitcase!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe said the lethal looking thing is a horse shoe crab. We google imaged it and they look like they get pretty massive.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Joe - yes -I thought it looked lethal
    Paolo - maybe it's just as well I don't have a bigger suitcase or I wouldn't have known where to stop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. Horseshoe crabs are one of the oldest creatures on earth, actually. Every year they come ashore in Delaware for egg-laying. Many of them don't make it back to the Atlantic. We used to go to the beaches and toss back as many as we could...

    ReplyDelete