Thursday, May 6, 2010

Children's Day


Wednesday was Children's Day and a national holiday - yippee. The people from Korean Class organised a trip to Hadong - about 2 hours away - famous for its Green Tea Festival that is on at the moment.


First stop was a place where they grew and processed a kind of apricot/plum without the sweetness. They are stored in these pots - of which there were over 3000

Next was a temple - set in amidst the trees with babbling brook nearby - very pleasant now that it is warmer.




These are massive bells.




After lunch we walked up to where these women were picking tea. I was intrigued by the fact it was growing amongst all the big rocks.


Then we stopped at a market - the yellow berries on the left come form the Gingko tree and were eaten in times of desperation. I tried one and they were quite pleasant - a cross between a berry and a chestnut in consistency.


These thorny branches are boiled in water and then you drink the water - it is 'healthy'.


The last stop was an old-style village that is used for film sets. Also shops - some selling dyed fabrics - I loved this indigo blue one.



I think I look 'up the duff' here

This is how they leave the soy bean mix to ferment

There were lots of people offering tea ceremonies - on the left is Sunny - who organises the Korean Classes.



4 comments:

  1. Yep, I have to agree with the up the duff look! Tell me it is not a desire! The thought sends chills through me!!!

    I have so enjoyed your blogs, very informative, so thanks for taking time to blog.
    With your contract almost up you must be close to a decision if you are staying or going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No - no desire for progeny. It's enough to teach them!
    I'm hoping to renew my contract for a second year but until it is signed and sealed I'm not counting my chickens - and these things usually happen at the last minute so nothing has happened yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pluots... (Plum-apricots) Crikey, we thought they were a NZ invention. The orchard we worked on in Central was growing them. They were OK if they were properly ripe but I thought they were vile if not ripe - very bitter skin. I wasn't convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pluots - what a great word. Yes - they have nothing on the real apricots.

    ReplyDelete