Saturday, February 6, 2010

Korean Basketball

I don't think Korean basketball is probably any different from anywhere else - but it was the first time I'd been to a game here.
Warm-up stretching
National Anthem
The opening throw - each team is allowed a couple of foreign imports and despite some of the Koreans being quite tall the imports still manage to almost dwarf them
The game was played between a Seoul team - the SK Knights (in the red) - and the local team - the LG Sakers (in white).
Then there is the crowd entertainment with someone to get the crowd chanting...



And the coach, the assistant coach, the defence strategist,the offence strategist, the translator, the lawyer - oops no there are only 5 there.

Here's the main coach with his white/clip board and the translator is next to him

And of course it wouldn't be complete without the cheerleaders...


multitasking
and it wouldn't be Korea if they didn't change their outfits several times during the game - or maybe they do that everywhere



I went to the game with the other Native English Speaker teacher from my school - an American called Jeremy. He was supporting the local team but when the Seoul team took an early lead I decided to barrack for them. Not such a good move as they then trailed for most of the game. But in the last quarter they took the lead again - finally winning by around 15 points.
It proved to be a lucky night for me - I won a seat prize. Sadly I didn't get the washing machine or the entertainment centre but did get a voucher for a local restaurant. I just have to get it translated now to find out how much it is for - hope it's more than "take 10 people get one free"

2 comments:

  1. It's Korea, the restaurant voucher is probably a banquet for 10 people so be crazy and invite all your friends over to join you in sharing the prize!

    Great shots of the pomp and ceremony of Korean basketball. Appears they go all out like the americans. It would have been a great experience being there, absorbed in all the excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out to be a dinner for 2 - so not bad..

    ReplyDelete