Sunday, March 27, 2011

Welllllllll

Oh dear - I have landed in a place where I have to go to an internet cafe and can't use my laptop - so no photos for a few weeks. I will do a photo essay or essays when I leave ...
So now I'm going to have to actually write something.
Well - left Delhi on the 'fancy' express train - it came with cups of tea and breakfast served. Very pleasant. That was 2nd class - I'm thinking I should go back on 1st class to see how much better it gets.
I was supposed to meet 2 others from the group when we got off the train - but didn't find anyone so just found an auto-rickshaw (those vespa things) and headed for the Rock Garden. One of the others was already there and the other was MIA. We kept expecting her to show up on a later train but when we finally checked the internet later it turned out that she had somehow managed to miss her flight and was having problems getting a new booking.
Anyway - the other 2 (Cory and Nicole) are from Colorado, know each other from art school and have already done one volunteer stint at the Rock Garden. This has proved very handy as they knew how to get around the Rock Garden (it is a weird maze-like structure - took me almost a week to find my own way) as well as where to go in town to find stuff.
We met Nek Chand - he is now 85 - but still comes in and sits in his office everyday and seems to have his finger on the pulse still.
Our start on work was slow - who knows why? But we spent time exploring the Rock Garden, talking about ideas, viewing our wall, and collecting tiles from the huge piles out the back.
It turns out that the wall we are working on is right outside our guest house so it's very handy. We sorted the tiles into colour piles and finally started on the mosaic work on Tuesday. And then suddenly Dominique (our 4th member) showed up. So my room alone is now shared. We have our own bathroom. There is also a kitchen, the other 2 have their own room and bathroom.
We get lunch and dinner provided and for that we journey to the 'old guesthouse' which has a nice living area and big table. Meals are usually a mix of rice, dahl (lentils), chapattis and a vege curry.
Weather: it's getting hotter by the day and cools off a bit at night. Soon I may have to use the fan or AC at night. The mosquitos were a pain, the others had bought mozzie nets but I went and found some mosquito coils that seem to work well.
We've also scored bicycles - which is very handy for our trips after work to the shops or internet cafe. It is a bit like Russian Roulette - especially when I have biked home in the dark! No lights or helmets of course.
We work 6 days a week - I'd complain but the Indian workers seem to be doing 7 days! Although last weekend they may have got a special day off for Holi Day - where everyone goes around throwing coloured powder - photos to come...
OK - time for my siesta I think - ciao for now

1 comment:

  1. Hey - such great writing I could visualise where you are. Sounds so fantastic...would like some of that heat here.

    ReplyDelete